This is a thought-provoking and challenging course. It will provide you with valuable insight into how a business records its financial transactions and how this information can be used to understand its performance and efficiency.
If you enjoy working with numbers and solving problems, Accounting could be for you. You will develop a thorough knowledge of all aspects of financial and management accounting, as well as broadening your understanding of the financial sector.
- Type of study
- Examination board
Availability & Details
Five GCSEs at grade 4 including English Language and Mathematics.
In Year One you will study:
- The role of the accountant in business
- Types of business organisations and sources of finance
- The double entry system of recording financial transactions
- Verification of accounting records, including preparing and correcting the trial balance, bank reconciliation statements and ledger control accounts
- Application of accounting concepts and calculation of accounting adjustments including depreciation, irrecoverable debts and accruals and prepayments
- Preparing financial statements for sole traders and companies
- Analysis and evaluation of financial information
- Budgeted financial statements
- Marginal costing, break-even and decision-making situations
In Year Two you will study:
- Problem solving skills such as coping with incomplete records
- Preparing more complex financial statements for companies, including the schedule of non-current assets and statement of cash flows
- Preparing partnership accounts
- More complex analysis and evaluation of financial information with communication to relevant stakeholders
- Professional ethics and the regulatory framework
- Further aspects of budgeting to include cash, sales, production, purchases and labour budgets
- Absorption and activity-based costing
- Standard costing and variance analysis
- Capital investment appraisal techniques such as payback period and net present value
Accounting is taught within a business environment. All of our lecturers are subject specialists with industry expertise.
Digital technology is embedded throughout the curriculum equipping you with skills that are industry-recognised including cloud based applications for your onward career journey. The College offers a variety of learning and teaching approaches including lectures, tutorials, studios, workshops, presentations and group discussions. You will have the opportunity to hear visiting speakers from universities and the accounting profession and meet with ex-students and employers from accounting firms.
You will be required to complete regular pieces of work throughout the two years for tutor assessment by your lecturer, though this does not form part of the final grading. Your final grade will be determined by examinations in
your second year, you will be required to sit two three-hour exams which will cover all the topics taught on the course. Each exam is worth 50% of the overall mark.
This qualification is particularly useful to those who wish to proceed to Higher Education or who wish to undertake professional qualifications in
the accounting field (particularly AAT, ACCA and CIMA courses). Possession of an accounting qualification may also be advantageous to those wishing to pursue more general business courses or business career opportunities. Many of our students go on to study accountancy or actuarial science at university either on its own, or in combination with other subjects such as: finance, business, economics or management.
The College is committed to providing you with an education that strongly links formal learning with professional or vocational practice.
Future Career Opportunities
The teaching and support was really great, the quality was really great, all the teachers really care about your education as well as your wellbeing, they take everything into consideration and they’re great.Katie Whittingham, A Level student
I got into both of the universities I wanted to. It happens so fast and it’s an amazing feeling when you think that all of the work you’ve done has paid off in the best way possible.Anton Sukhorukov, A Level student
You take control of your own learning…the college were really helpful and always willing to do anything and go that extra step to help me get my grades.Scarlette Tiller, A Level student