BTEC First Extended Certificate Level 2
Would you like a career in a dynamic, growing industry that has many varied paths? This course gives you a broad foundation in many facets of engineering and is a mixture of theory and practical, covering a whole range of units that give you the knowledge and skills that will be useful in an engineering career. These include Computer Aided Design, electronics and machining. You will encounter a wide variety of learning opportunities using theoretical teaching and practical workshop sessions. Your lessons will take place in the Sonardyne Centre for Engineering and Design Technology.
- Type of study
- Examination board
Availability & Details
You should normally have achieved a grade 3 profile at GCSE. For GCSEs which remain with the old grading system, a grade 3 is equivalent to a grade D. To study this subject you should have an interest in technical subjects.
On this full time Engineering Extended Certificate at HSDC Alton, you will study the following:
- Finding out about the Engineering World.
- Gaining information about an Engineered Product.
- Using various machines to manufacture parts. The department has the manufacturing resources that are the envy of all local schools and colleges.
- Learning about Engines and other vehicle systems.
- Learning welding techniques.
- Learning about the maintenance of bicycles.
- Learning about the basics of Electronics in engineering.
- Gaining an understanding of Mathematics and science in an engineering environment.
- Interpreting Engineering Information, in order to plan work.
Lessons will incorporate theoretical content however, there are a number of practical lessons within the course content.
Eight units with written assignments.
One unit with a written exam on Interpreting Engineering Information.
One unit with an online exam on The Engineering World.
£35 for core textbook and £20 for materials and resources.
Future Career Opportunities
The teaching and support was really great, the quality was really great, all the teachers really care about your education as well as your wellbeing, they take everything into consideration and they’re great.Katie Whittingham, A Level student
My experience with the teaching and support was really well, as I’m dyslexic, they helped me a lot and I’ve achieved good grades, so I’m really pleased.Thomas McCann, A Level student
The teaching and support was absolutely brilliant, they couldn’t have done anything more or anything better, if I had any questions my lecturers would always stay behind to help me if I needed it and their emails were always open, it was second to none. This college is the best by far.Amber Searle, BTEC student