Functional Skills English
Functional Skills English Level 1
This course is designed to assess your current working level of English and help you progress from that level forward. You will work through a range of smaller stepping stone units to help grow your confidence with reading, writing, speaking and listening. This will then give you the opportunity to work up the levels from Entry 3 to Level 2. You will be required to come in for an initial assessment before you can enrol on this course.
- Type of study
- Examination board
Availability & Details
This course is for you if you do not already have a grade C/4 or above in GCSE English Language. If you have already achieved a Level 2 Functional Skills in English, it is suggested that you progress to a GCSE English Language Course. You will be required to come in for an initial assessment before you can enrol on this course.
This course covers:
- Reading – skimming, scanning and intensive reading including looking at purpose and structure
- Writing – a range of formats, word sentence and text level including SPAG (spelling, punctuation and grammar)
- Speaking and listening – including discussions and presentations (Level 2 only)
- Group work and practical activities
- Speaking and listening activity
- Using IT – interactive websites
- Classroom based assessment work
- Revision Workshops
In-class and external-based assessments.
To a higher level Functional Skills or GCSE English qualification.
Future Career Opportunities
My experience with the teaching and support was really well, as I’m dyslexic, they helped me a lot and I’ve achieved good grades, so I’m really pleased.Thomas McCann, A Level student
There are great teachers here. This college has felt more like a university than a school, and it’s definitely lived up to that more grown-up feel.Vicky Lipscombe, A Level student
The college is a bright and happy place, everyone is kind and friendly to each other.Megan Hall, A Level student