Cambridge Introductory Diploma Level 3
Graphic Design will introduce you to a creative and inspiring world. It is an exciting industry that covers a wide spectrum of practices such as advertising, illustration, magazine design, logos, branding and animation. If you are interested in a creative and commercial career, this could be the course for you. You’ll develop traditional skills such as drawing, painting, printmaking and 3D work and
combine them with photography, film and computer aided drawing to create innovative and exciting work.
- Type of study
- Examination board
Availability & Details
Students should normally have achieved at least five GCSEs at grade 9-4. Alternatively, if you have studied at Level 2, you should have achieved a merit or above. Vocational courses are an ideal qualification for students who prefer coursework.
A GCSE grade 5 in a creative or technical subject.
At Alton College on the Graphic Design Introductory Diploma you will study:
- Six units over two years covering a range of design related subjects, including graphics, illustration, CAD (computer aided design), typography, photography and animation.
- Challenging live project work to enable you to develop your creative and technical skills, in both traditional and electronic media.
- Interesting facts about contemporary and historical artists, illustrators and designers.
- A strong foundation of skills in visual communication including illustration, typography, layout skills and idea generation techniques.
- How to generate ideas and problem solve, whilst following the design process.
- How to produce successful, professional and imaginative outcomes in response to both set and self-initiated project briefs and as your skills develop
Lessons activities are wide ranging and stimulating from theory based to practical exploration. You will learn and develop a variety of techniques within drawing, illustration, typography, laser cutting, print making, collage, textiles and photography. You will develop your own ideas by researching into other artists and be encouraged to examine the commercial world around you. You will be given the freedom to work through, explore and experiment with a wide range of traditional and digital techniques and processes, using the latest Adobe Creative Cloud suite.
100% coursework assessed and may include portfolio work – there are no exams.
Purchase of Graphic Design consumables : approx. £10 per project.
Optional trips from £20 each
Future Career Opportunities
My experience at the college has been decent, I’ve met lots of people, its been great to be honest, I’ve really enjoyed it.Oliver Smith, A Level student
I got into both of the universities I wanted to. It happens so fast and it’s an amazing feeling when you think that all of the work you’ve done has paid off in the best way possible.Anton Sukhorukov, A Level student
The college is a bright and happy place, everyone is kind and friendly to each other.Megan Hall, A Level student