Level 2 Diploma
This one year course is designed for students who are looking to develop their understanding of music production and technology for a career in the music industry. Alongside the course you will also study for your Maths and English Functional Skills and/or GCSE qualifications.
- Type of study
- Examination board
Availability & Details
Five GCSEs at grade 3 including English Language and Mathematics.
On this course you will have the opportunity to study a variety of music technology and production areas, alongside planning your musical career and how to promote yourself and others in the modern musical world.
Units will include:
- Remixing and production
- Using a keyboard with a DAW
- Live sound reinforcement
- Studio recording
- Live recording
- Careers in music
- Music, marketing and promotion
The facilities on our campus feature the latest music industry standard equipment.
- Three Apple Mac (2017 iMac) production suites consisting of more than 20 individual workstations with audio keyboard and Logic X.
- Main recording studio consists of Apple Mac Pro (2017), two Raven touch screens, two Universal Audio Apollo 8’s, a pair of Genelec 8040 & KRK Rocket 6 studio monitors, designated drum room, vocal booth, bass / gtr room, it also links to rehearsal rooms and the smaller of our two live music venues.
- Live music venue with a variety of live audio equipment: Industry standard microphones and DI boxes, PA and monitor speakers and outboard equipment – e.g. dbx compressors, lexicon FX.
Assessment is mainly through practical project work e.g remixing modern tracks, recording in the studio, mixing a live band, as well as two written assignments. All assessments and assignments have an agreed hand in date and are all electronic based.
At HSDC, students who gain at least an overall ‘Merit’ grade can progress to our Level 3 qualifications. The pathway can then lead to a HND Level 4 and 5 (here at HSDC) or Higher Education (Level 6) if desired. Some students may gain employment in the music industry as a direct result of achieving an overall Merit or Distinction.
Future Career Opportunities
My experience at the college has been decent, I’ve met lots of people, its been great to be honest, I’ve really enjoyed it.Oliver Smith, A Level student
My experience at the college has been really good, it’s been really rewarding, all the lecturers were so lovely and supportive there’s no way I could have done it without them - the teaching has been outstanding.Lucie Brooks, A Level student
I focused and worked hard to get the grades. I had some support from my lecturer during a stressful time. The college is really good and supportive.Natasha Boerer, BTEC student