Sport, OCR Level 3 Cambridge Technical Extended Diploma
Level 3 Cambridge Technical Extended Diploma
This is a course for students with a real interest in all aspects of sport and fitness who would like to follow a career in this industry. You’ll study a range of units which may include anatomy and physiology, training and fitness, sports nutrition, sports coaching, sports massage, sports injuries, and PE and young people in sport. You’ll also have the opportunity to develop your practical performance in two individual and two team sports. A key requirement is a real enthusiasm for sport and/or exercise and fitness in both the theoretical and practical aspects.
- Type of study
- Examination board
Availability & Details
Students should normally have achieved at least five GCSEs at grade 9-4. Alternatively, if you have studied at Level 2, you should have achieved a merit or above. Vocational courses are an ideal qualification for students who prefer coursework.
To study this course, you should also have a Grade 4 in GCSE English and Maths and preferably Science/Physical Education.
This course is made up of 17 units over two years:
- Body systems and the effects of physical activity **
- Sports coaching and activity leadership
- Sports organisation and development **
- Working safely in sport, exercise, health and leisure **
- Performance analysis in sport and exercise
- Improving fitness for sport and physical activity
- Organisation of sports events
- Physical activity for specific groups
- Nutrition and diet for sport and exercise
- Working in active leisure facilities
- Sports injuries and rehabilitation
- Practical skills in sport and physical activity
- The business of sport **
- Group exercise to music
- Health and fitness testing for sport exercise
- Sport and exercise psychology
- Sport and exercise sociology
Lessons activities are wide ranging with lessons taking place in the Sports Hall, the Gym and in computer rooms. Students have time to complete their coursework both in and out of lesson times and be involved in other enrichment activities. The Extended Diploma is suitable for anyone who has an enthusiasm for sport both theoretically and practically.
All internal units will be assessed and graded by your teachers. At the end of the course, points gained will combine to form an overall grade. You can achieve a Pass, Merit, Distinction or Distinction*. All assessments are completed through assignments and/or examinations.
Coursework with practical units and 4 x externally assessed exams **
All students will be expected to provide their own textbooks, folders, dividers, plastic wallets and USB memory sticks
Essential: £40 for 2 textbooks
Extended Diploma in Sport works well for careers such as:
Future Career Opportunities
"Lessons are always different and interesting. There is a good balance between practical and theory which makes lessons fun."Amy Sly, previously at Perins School
"Sport is interesting and enjoyable. The teachers are welcoming and supportive. The course provides a good mix of practical and theory which is a great way to learn."Ashley Eaton, previously at Perins School