Full time general financial assistance

HSDC provides financial support to help our students reach their full potential. Depending on your circumstances, you may be eligible for:

  • Travel between home and the College
  • Free student meals
  • Assistance towards specified equipment, books and clothing required by the course you are intending to study
  • Other essential activities, such as approved compulsory day trips and residential visits
  • Travel assistance towards the cost of Higher Education interviews/auditions/open days
  • UCAS administration fees
  • DBS checks required for work experience
  • Help with childcare costs

All applications from students are considered individually and funds will be granted where a genuine need for assistance has been demonstrated and the eligible criteria met.

College Bought Bus Pass
If the student lives beyond 0.5 miles of South Downs Campus or Havant Campus (measured by google maps, walking mode), the student will be eligible for a college funded bus pass. They will also have the opportunity to purchase an upgraded bus pass to allow for travel further afield. Bus passes cost the College between £300-£650 each, so please look after them!

Contribution towards a Train Pass
Students who wish to use the train to travel to college and who would normally be entitled to a college funded bus pass, may have the equivalent value of the bus pass (for their area) deducted from the termly train pass. The remaining cost of the train pass (if necessary) would be to be paid by the student before collecting the pass.

Essential Books, Uniform or Equipment, as advised by lecturers
Refunds will be made, once receipts for the items are handed into the Student Travel & Support Team.  This process can take up to 6 weeks during busy times.

Compulsory/Essential trips as advised by the organiser
The organiser of the trip must advise the Student Travel & Support Team that the trip/residential is compulsory. Please speak to the Student Travel & Support Team if you think one of your trips is essential.  The payment will be made by internal transfer.

Travel expenses to Higher Education Open Days/Auditions/Interviews
Evidence of the event (for example, an email from the University) plus receipts for the travel costs need to be presented to the Student Travel & Support Team. Mileage will be paid at 25p per mile for a return trip.

DBS fee and UCAS administration fees
The payment will be made by internal transfer or refunded on the production of a receipt which needs to be handed into the Student Travel & Support Team.

To be eligible for this support the student:

  • Must be enrolled on a full time course such as Entry, Level 1, Level 2, Level 3 vocational courses and A Levels (excluding SC/HC coded courses and HND/C courses).
  • Is aged over 16 or over on 31 August 2019 and living with the Parent/Carer who is in receipt of at least one of the income based benefits listed below
  • Is aged 19 or over on 31 August 2019 and is in receipt of at least one of the benefits listed below or are an unwaged dependent of someone who is in receipt of such a benefit and studying on a level 1 or 2 course or studying their first level 3, up to the age of 24.

Income Support
Letter dated on or after 1 April 2019 stating you currently receive this benefit.

Job Seekers Allowance (income based)
All pages of your notification dated on or after 1 April 2019.

Employment and Support Allowance (income related)
All pages of your notification dated on or after 1 April 2019.

Pension Credit (Guarantee element)
All pages of your State Pension Credit (guarantee element) issued by the pension service dated on or after 1 April 2019.

Working Tax Credit
All pages of your Tax Credit ward Notice for April 2019 to April 2020 showing that you receive Working Tax (not solely child tax credit). Unfortunately we cannot accept ‘provisional’ award notices.

Council Tax Reduction (other than single occupancy)
Letter or annual bill dated from April 2019.

Housing Benefit
Local Council letter dated April 2019 to March 2020.

Universal Credit (other than child tax element)
Your last 3 most recent monthly Award Statements which can be printed from your online account. Please print the full breakdown of your monthly award payments which show how your Universal Credit was calculated. Your total household income must not exceed £25,000 p/a.

Complete the Student Finance & Travel Application form and return to Student Travel & Support, HSDC, South Downs Campus, College Road, Waterlooville, Hants, PO7 8AA with supporting proof of benefit.

If you do not have your current proof of benefit, please continue to complete the application form and supply the proof at a later date.  This will enable the College to begin processing your application form.

If you would like any further information, please phone on 023 9279 7991 (option 3) or email travelandsupport@hsdc.ac.uk

Need some help? Our advisors are here to help you

Contact us