Absence & Holidays


Poor attendance can affect a student’s chances of success.

A parent or carer must notify the College if a student is going to be absent. This can be done by completing the online student absence form. If a student is unwell during the college day and needs to go home, the online student absence form should be completed.

Please note that absence without parental authorisation is likely to be highlighted as a concern.

If the absence is greater than a week, please email:

Alton Campus – PastoralSupportAC@hsdc.ac.uk
Havant Campus – PastoralSupportHC@hsdc.ac.uk
South Downs Campus – PastoralSupportSDC@hsdc.ac.uk

Problems with transport

If there are problems with bus or train transport that are confirmed by the transport operator and where there is no alternative means of transport available, you must inform the College on each day of the absence by completing the online student absence form before their first lesson, but in any event no later then the end of the college day.

Holidays and Exceptional Leave of Absence

The College has a clear policy not to authorise any absences from College during term time, unless there are exceptional circumstances. Family holidays or leisure activities during term time are discouraged. Only in the most exceptional circumstances will the College agree to absence during term time.

Essential work or assessments must not be missed and there must be an agreement that the student can catch up on any work missed. If you need to request exceptional leave of absence during term time, please complete the online student absence form.

Need some help? Our advisors are here to help you

Contact us