The Alton College Foundation ceremony for second year students took place in the Wessex Arts Centre at Alton College recently. The Alton College Foundation introduced the awards to celebrate students who had shown outstanding achievements within their subjects during their first year of study.
Mr Trevor Heley, Managing Director of the Foundation, opened the Ceremony by welcoming students, parents, College staff and the Foundation Directors who were in the audience to celebrate the achievement of the successful award winners.
This year marks the 20th anniversary of Alton College Foundation. The audience welcomed back Michaela Clement-Hayes, one of the first scholarship recipients in 2002, who gave an inspirational speech. Michaela explained how the support from the College and Foundation was key to shaping her career.
Mr Heley congratulated the sixteen second year students who had excelled in their chosen subjects of Creative Visual Arts, Engineering, Foundation Learning, Mathematics, Performing Arts and Public Services.
The following awards were then presented:
- Peter Wilson, Director of the Alton College Foundation, presented the second year Creative Visual Art Awards to Holly Lowe, Ottilie Peterson, Isobelle Monckton and Rebecca Marshall.
- Nicholas Branch, Chairman of the Alton College Foundation, presented the Design and Technology Product Analysis, Specification and Development Award, sponsored by Alton College Foundation, to joint winners Emily Adderson and Nathan Banbury.
- Mike Baker, Director of the Alton College Foundation, presented the
– Level 2 Engineering Skills Award, sponsored by Mike Baker, to Tommy Bason and Oliver Chapman.
– Level 3 Engineering Skills Award, sponsored by Mike Baker, was awarded to Cameron Bush. Unfortunately, the other award winner Harry Henslow was unable to attend on the evening.
- Trevor Heley, Managing Director of the Alton College Foundation presented the Foundation Learning award to Tom Brooker.
- Merula Frankel, Director of the Alton College Foundation, presented the Mathematics Award to Emily Morgan.
- Niven Baird, Director of the Alton College Foundation, presented the Performing Arts award to Bryony Morgan.
- Mike Baker Director of the Alton College Foundation and personal sponsor of the awards for public services presented the
– Public services, leadership and teamwork, award to Sam Harding,
– Public services, outdoor and adventurous expeditions, award to Chloe Baldwin; and
– Public services, planning and management of major incidents, to Jordan Horseman.
The evening was brought to a close by Jon Myers, Head of Campus, Alton College. He thanked the staff at the College, parents and the Foundation for supporting the students. He praised the students and urged them to take pride in their success and to seize this and future opportunities to enrich and enhance their learning.