HSDC is a local provider of high quality Apprenticeships. We support students like you to find an Apprenticeship that can kick start an amazing career. We deliver a wide range of Apprenticeship programmes and work alongside leading employers to help you become part of a skilled workforce.
Apprenticeships are designed to give you the best of both worlds – work and study. As an Apprentice, you’ll earn money and spend time in a workplace setting that reflects your career aspirations.
You can either complete an Apprenticeship with your existing employer or we can help you find an employer through our extensive business partners.
Apprentices now have the amazing opportunity to achieve degree and masters level qualifications without the debt associated with traditional Higher Education.
An Apprenticeship is a full time job with a training programme embedded. You will develop industry level skills and achieve recognised formal qualifications. Most Apprentices will work a minimum 30 hours per week and a programme can last between one and six years depending on its level and your existing skills, experience and chosen industry.
As an Apprentice, you will have the opportunity to learn the skills required to excel in industry whilst being paid by your employer. The average weekly wage varies dependant on the sector and your age.
The College encourages employers to pay competitive rates, above National Apprenticeship Minimum Wage.
As an Apprentice you will work within your chosen industry, whilst completing tasks and meeting objectives set by your employer. All Apprentices are required to complete 20% off the job training which is generally met by a day in College. For the other 80% you will be immersing yourself in a real working environment, getting hands on experience, support from qualified colleagues and a fantastic learning opportunity.
Here at HSDC, we understand that our students want to reach their full potential and stand out from the rest.
Here are some reasons why an Apprenticeship with HSDC is the right choice for you:
At HSDC we offer a variety of types and levels of Apprenticeships to suit your individual needs.
Our employers will outline the skills, personal qualities and qualifications required in order to be successful within a role.
Have a look below for each level’s entry requirements:
LEVEL 2 – 3
Intermediate (GCSE equivalent) and Advanced (A Level equivalent)
English and Maths GCSE’s grade 9 – 4 (A* – C) are preferred, however, all applicants will be subject to initial assessments. If you do not have your English and Maths, HSDC can help you to upskill ready for your job. For an Advanced Apprenticeship, applicants might need some previous experience dependant on the job role and industry.
Intermediate and Advanced Apprenticeships give you the underpinning knowledge and experience required to progress and achieve foundation and degree qualifications in industry.
LEVEL 4 – 7
Higher and Degree Level Apprenticeships (Foundation Degree and above equivalent)
Entry requirements can include at least five GCSE’s at grade 9 – 4 (A* – C), and Level 3 qualifications including A Levels, NVQ/SVQ Level 3 or a BTEC National. All higher and degree Apprenticeships will require you to have specific experience to support your achievement.
Employers often use higher and degree level Apprenticeships to upskill their current staff.
There are many ways you can secure an Apprenticeship. Whether it’s through your current employer or wanting to embark on a new career. You must have an employer who is able to support you in a job that allows you to develop the skills, knowledge and behaviours that make up the qualification. Our Apprenticeship team will support you with this.
It is essential you prepare before submitting your application. Our Apprenticeship Team can support you to get ‘work ready’ by giving you CV and application guidance and even a mock interview. We can also help you find the right programme and employer to suit you.
The .GOV website enables you to build an application form, following the step by step instructions to apply for a role and will allow you to save and update your application as often as you like. Once the right job comes up, you can submit an application directly to the advertisement through the service and track the progress of your application.
If you have managed to find an employer you want to work with yourself, we will ensure they receive the information and support they need throughout the programme.
Or, why not approach some employers directly? Drop a CV in, or pop in and ask to speak with the manager or recruitment team. Our Apprenticeship team will support you each step of the way, enabling you to achieve your career aspirations.