Ordering your bus/train pass (with financial support)

Havant & South Downs campuses

Bus passes:
The College will pay for a student’s bus pass if the student lives 0.5 miles of the College campus and is studying a full time course (not including Higher Education courses), and either the student or the parent/carer is in receipt of an income-based benefit. There will be no additional cost to pay once we have seen and approved your benefit (unless you choose to upgrade the bus pass, then this additional cost must be paid by you).

Train passes:
Students who wish to use the train to travel to College and who would normally be entitled to a College funded bus pass (in receipt of an income-based benefit), may have the equivalent value of the bus pass (for their area) deducted from the termly train pass. The remaining cost of the train pass would need to be paid by the student before collecting the pass.

The Income based benefits accepted for the College’s Travel and Financial Assistance Scheme are:

  • Income support
  • Working Tax Credit (not solely Child Tax Credit)
  • Employment & Support Allowance (income related)
  • Council Tax Support (other than single occupancy)
  • Job Seekers Allowance (income based)
  • Housing Benefit
  • Pension Credit (Guarantee element)
  • Universal Credit (other than Child Tax Element and the annual household income cannot exceed £25,000)

If you are in receipt of an income-based benefit you will need to complete a Student Travel & Support Application form.

The application form must be returned to the Student Travel & Support Office by mid-July in order to guarantee that your travel pass will be ready for the start of term (we will continue to process application forms after this date, but we cannot guarantee when passes will be ready for collection).

You can send your application form in even if you do not have your proof of benefit to hand, as this can be provided later. Please make sure all relevant sections are completed fully and you have chosen the correct travel section for the campus you will be studying at (South Downs or Havant). Please make sure Section 7 of the application form is signed by both the parent/carer and the student – we will have to return any applications that are not signed.

If your application form is submitted by mid-July your travel pass (or promo code for mobile phone tickets) will be available to collect during enrolment days. Application forms received after this date will still be processed and the passes will be available to collect from Student Travel & Support. You must bring your Student ID card with you to collect your travel pass (Student ID cards will be issued to new students on their enrolment day). A passport style photo must be supplied when collecting train passes.

The Department of Transport has launched a new Railcard which will benefit 16 and 17-year olds. This Railcard, which costs £30 to buy, offers 50% discount on rail travel.

HSDC understands that some rail passes will still be cheaper if purchased through the College but we would advise all students and parent/carers to investigate the 16-17 Railcard scheme before purchasing a College train pass.

For further information on the 16-17 Railcard, please go to the website https://www.16-17saver.co.uk/

Havant & South Downs Campus

The Student Travel & Support team will be available to assist with ordering passes during the summer. Feel free to email travelandsupport@hsdc.ac.uk or call us on 023 9279 7991 and select option 3.

Need some help? Our advisors are here to help you

Contact us