Ordering your bus/train pass (with financial support)

Alton Campus

Bus passes:
The College will pay for a student’s bus pass if the student lives beyond 0.5 miles of Alton Campus and is studying a full time course (not including Higher Education courses) and either the student or the parent/carer is in receipt of an income based benefit. There will be no additional cost to pay once we have seen and approved your benefit.

Train passes:
Students who wish to use the train to travel to Alton Campus and who would normally be entitled to a College funded bus pass (in receipt of an income based benefit), may have the equivalent value of the bus pass (for their area) deducted from the termly train pass. The remaining cost of the train pass would need to be paid by the student before collecting the pass.

The income based benefits accepted for the College’s Travel and Financial Assistance Scheme are:

  • Income support
  • Working Tax Credit (not solely Child Tax Credit)
  • Employment & Support Allowance (income related)
  • Council Tax Support (other than single occupancy)
  • Job Seekers Allowance (income based)
  • Housing Benefit
  • Pension Credit (Guarantee element)
  • Universal Credit (other than Child Tax Element and the annual household income cannot exceed £25,000)

If you are in receipt of an income based benefit you will need to complete a Student Travel & Support Application form.

The application form must be returned to the Student Travel & Support Office by mid-August in order to guarantee that your travel pass will be ready for the start of term (we will continue to process application forms after this date but we cannot guarantee when passes will be ready for collection).

You can send your application form in even if you do not have your proof of benefit to hand, as this can be provided later. Please make sure all relevant sections are completed fully. Please make sure the application form is signed by both the parent/carer and the student – we will have to return any applications that are not signed.

If your application form is submitted by mid-August your travel pass will be available to collect on the first day of term. Application forms received after this date will still be processed and the passes will be available to collect from Student Travel & Support office based in the Student Hub. You must bring your student ID card with you to collect your travel pass (student ID cards will be issued to new students on their enrolment day). A passport style photo must be supplied when collecting train passes.

Hampshire County Council assists with travel expenses for post-16 students with special educational needs or students who have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). The support provided requires an annual parental contribution. If your child qualifies for free school meals due to low income, the fee may be waived. Students wishing to apply for help with transport can do so by accessing the Hampshire County Council website for further details here.

Alton Campus

Contact the Student Travel & Support team by emailing travelandsupport@alton.hsdc.ac.uk or calling us on 01420 592229.

Havant & South Downs campuses

Looking for travel and support information for Havant and South Downs campuses? Visit our helpful pages here.

Need some help? Our advisors are here to help you

Contact us