We understand that coming to HSDC will be a new experience and so we make every effort to ensure you have all the support you need to get you off to a good start and help you achieve the best you can.
Study areas, resources and services are for all students – full time and part time, Higher Education and apprentices. We cater for students with any particular requirements.
We’ve invested heavily to create excellent study facilities at all campuses. Whether you want to do some quiet independent learning, or meet with your fellow-students to collaborate, you’ll find exactly what you need.
Our Learning Hubs are full of subject-specific resources, both digital and print. Importantly, they’re run by helpful, knowledgeable and experienced staff who can take you straight to what you need and give you a positive experience.
What’s more, all our Learning Hubs are equipped with plenty of open access computers, all of which are fully-integrated with the College’s network.
In addition, if you’re working on a project within a group, or revising with friends, then you can take advantage of our group study and seminar rooms. These areas are designed to give you the space and comfort you need to work alongside your fellow-students effectively.
Our Learning Hubs are open throughout the year, with reduced hours during college holidays – please check with the college before making a special journey during the holiday periods.
Here are some details about what’s available and how you can gain access:
- Group work tables and/or rooms are available for collaborative study.
- Group presentation/practice rooms with PCs and screen.
- Individual study booths are available for private study.
- Silent rooms with computers are available if needed.
- Computer rooms with open access PCs and Macs are available.
- Wi-Fi and plug sockets are available for your own laptops and other mobile devices.
- Informal seating to relax.
- E-books and books.
- Magazines and newspapers.
- Streamed TV and radio programmes.
- Online databases e.g. JSTOR.
- Interlibrary loan service.
- Digital resources can be accessed off campus with your HSDC login details
- Staff will provide demos, training and support in using digital resources.
- PCs and Laptops: You can simply drop in to use the PCs and laptops, or ask the library staff to book a PC for you.
- Apple Macs: Macs are available for students who need specific software in pursuit of their studies.
- Chromebooks and Chromeboxes: Students can elect to use one of these devices which are designed to work with the GSuite for Education Environment.
- All students are offered a welcome introduction with their tutor/teacher.
- Research and referencing workshops.
- Enquiry service.
- Events and activities to encourage reading for pleasure and promote library use.
- Student feedback is welcomed to help us improve our services.
- ‘Follow me’ printers are located around the College. Simply print, and then claim your print-out from your nearest printer!
- Each student will be given a free allocation of printing/photocopying credit – but remember, scanning is free!
- You can top-up your printing/photocopying credit at any time. Just ask at the Learning Hub for further information.
- Specialised printing, binding and other services are available from our state-of-the-art Print Services
- Stationery– essential stationery can be bought at Havant and South Downs campuses